Re: Need help for hardware bug in Intel's EHCI implementation

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 02:35:02PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > For all I know, newer hardware might behave the same way.  It's easy
> > > enough to test if there's a g-zero gadget at hand, or the equivalent (a
> > > high-speed device with a bulk-out endpoint that acts as a sink,
> > > accepting all packets).
> >
> > Ok.  The hardware devs are asking if this problem is hit on newer
> > hardware.  They think that most of the kinks in the EHCI host should
> > have been worked out by the Nehalem generation.  Do you have access to a
> > newer EHCI system?  If not, I will attempt to find the ez-usb device I
> > have and learn how to program it.
>
> I do have hardware that's newer than ICH5 -- as best I recall, it's
> ICH9.  How does that compare with Nehalem?  I never figured out the
> relation between Intel's code names and part names.  There seem to be
> at least three different ways of describing each piece of hardware.

Yep.  Even at Intel we get confused.

Nehalem seems to be a particular CPU from 2008.  ICH9 came out in 2007.
So I guess your hardware is a year older than what the devs are looking
for.  I would suggest you test on the newer box anyway.

> You shouldn't go to much trouble over this.  If messing around with
> ez-usb stuff would take too long, either buy a device controller or
> forget about it.  (PLX Technology even carries USB-3.0 peripheral
> controllers, but there aren't any Linux drivers for them yet.)

Yeah, I think the focus within the Linux community is more on the
Synopsis DesignWare USB 3.0 peripheral controller.

Sarah Sharp