Re: Unreliable USB3 with NEC uPD720200 and Delock Cardreader

On Wednesday, December 05, 2012 04:33:44 PM Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 02:54:06PM -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > > Yes, you have /sys/bus/pci/devices/.../d3cold_allowed
> > > See Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-pci
> > >
> > > If this really is a problem with the D3cold support that went into 3.6
> > > then I guess you should include Huang Ying in the discussions as well
> > > (CCed).
> >
> > Turning off D3 cold didn't help.  Once the PCI device is suspended,
> > connect events do not generate an interrupt.
> >
> > I'll go see if I can figure out which kernel this worked on and bisect.
>
> Wakeup from D3 works fine on the 3.5.0 kernel, but fails on 3.6.2.  I
> haven't fully bisected yet.
>
> In debugging, I found that if you only enable runtime suspend for the
> NEC host controller, the host successfully comes out of D3 when you plug
> in a USB device.  However, if you enable runtime PM for the parent PCIe root
> port, it stops working.  Disabling D3cold for both devices did not help.
>
> It looks like a PCI issue, so what sort of debugging info do you need
> from me?

It looks like this is related to one of the following commits:

3d8387e PCI/PM: Fix config reg access for D3cold and bridge suspending
ea8c88f PCI/PM: Keep parent bridge active when probing device
4f9c139 PCI/PM: Enable D3/D3cold by default for most devices
448bd85 PCI/PM: add PCIe runtime D3cold support
71a83bd PCI/PM: add runtime PM support to PCIe port
ee85f54 ACPI/PM: specify lowest allowed state for device sleep state

Generally, please try to bisect changes in drivers/pci between v3.5 and v3.6.

Thanks,
Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.