Re: Correlating SOF with host system time

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Stefan Tauner
<stefan.tauner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:27:00 -0500 (EST)
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't think referencing times to SOF packets is the best approach,
>> although it probably is the approach that would yield the most
>> precision.  How precise do you want your synchronization to be?
>
> It should be below 1ms accuracy, but being more precise does never hurt of
> course :)
> BTW anyone interested in really accurate USB synchronization should
> read the paper "Sub-nanosecond Distributed Synchronisation via the
> Universal Serial Bus"; they use custom hardware though.

Interestingly you mentioned this article. Back in 2008, we have
some discussions about this topic in Microchip forum.
http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=329799

>> Running NTP over a USB-based network link would certainly be the
>> easiest solution, if your device can support it.  Over the long run, it
>> might even be more accurate on average than using SOF packets.
>
> We are talking about microcontrollers with a few kB RAM at most, so
> just cross-compiling any (S)NTP client wont cut it probably :)
> So the SOF approach seems to be way more elegant and easy to implement
> to me... in theory.
>
> Another nice property is that SOF packets are sent for every frame in
> any case (but errors) and they are broadcasted, which is both
> advantageous regarding bandwidth usage and independent of the number of
> devices attached.
>
> Regarding long-term stability/precision i am not sure i can agree with
> you. If i throw the same amount of statistics/algorithm complexity at
> the SOF scheme and a software-exclusive approach i dont see how the
> latter could be better :)

You might find some of the information in the Microchip forum helpful.

--
Xiaofan