Re: [alsa-devel] Missing exactly 3 of 8 audio packets?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Daniel Mack wrote:

> > OK, this time I got some real results. I can still get the USB packet
> > stream to misbehave, and indeed the synthesized data is being lost.
> > The output data present on the USB bus smoothly increments during
> > each packet, continuing smoothly in adjacent packets. But, when one
> > or two packets are missed, the next output data is numbered as if the
> > packets (6 stereo frames each) had been generated but lost.

That's how isochronous transfers are supposed to behave.  When data is
lost, it does not get retransmitted.

> > And, what should I look at next?
>
> As Clemens said, check the error fields in the isochronous frames when
> the urb is given back to the driver. For isochronous data, there's
> nothing the driver can do about failed transmissions, hence there's no
> code to handle such conditions. But it might help understand what's
> going on.

There probably won't be any errors, but it's worth looking anyway.
You never know...

> In any case, this now certainly looks more like a strange USB problem,
> rather than a bug in snd-usb.

The only thing that's strange is that there are so many dropped packets
and that they seem to fall into a small number of patterns.  This
strongly suggests hardware issues.  Daniel G., have you tried running
your tests on a different computer?  Preferably with a different brand
of motherboard?

Alan Stern