Re: cdc-acm and remote wakeup

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> On Monday 26 November 2012 13:40:28 Alan Stern wrote:
> > Of course, there would still be a problem if the system was suspended
> > while this program was running and using the modem.  There's no way to
> > tell usbfs that remote wakeup is required.
>
> Exactly. Also there's an unavoidable window when kicking off the
> driver via sysfs. This problem needs to be handled by a quirk in usbcore.

I disagree.  The usbfs interface is not as capable as the kernel's
internal API; that has always been true.  One of its limitations is the
inability to request remote wakeups.  We could add that to usbfs, but
for now it isn't there.

If that limitation means the buggy modem will crash whenever it is
being driven by a user program and the system suspends, so be it.  We
shouldn't expect the kernel to work around hardware bugs when the
device in question isn't even under the control of a kernel driver.

Alan Stern