Re: cdc-acm and remote wakeup

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Daniele Palmas wrote:

> > What if the modem isn't registered to the network?  For example, if the
> > cdc-acm driver is unloaded.  Does it need remote wakeup to be enabled
> > then?
> >

> That is a good question: in my specific scenario it is not useful to
> have the remote wakeup enabled if the cdc-acm driver is unloaded. But,
> though at the moment I cannot identify any, maybe there are situations
> in which it is useful to have the remote wakeup enabled even if the
> driver is not loaded.

Without a driver, and without being registered with the network, I
don't see how the modem could ever send a wakeup request in the first
place.

Still, this is an important consideration.  It means that remote wakeup
doesn't need to be enabled when the driver isn't present.  Which means
that the cdc-acm driver is indeed the right place to fix this problem
-- although the way you did it isn't the right way.  The right way is
to have cdc-acm turn on the needs_remote_wakeup flag in the
usb_interface structure.

And by the way, /proc/acpi/wakeup is deprecated.  To allow the modem to
wake up the system, you should do:

	echo enabled >/sys/bus/usb/devices/.../power/wakeup

where the "..." part is filled in with the device name corresponding to
the modem.

Alan Stern