Re: EHCI controller CS5536 hard disk disconnects

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012, Miguel Dardenne wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> First, apologies if this message is not posted to the right mailing
> list - please point me to the most appropriate one if needed.
>
> I get a USB disconnect of my external USB HDD about once per day.
> Enabling USB debug in the kernel shows the first error as 'ehci_hcd
> detected XactErr'. It happens only when the drive is idle. For example,
> I had a process writing on the HDD every 3 seconds and the problem did
> not occur for several weeks.

Correction: These errors do not occur when the drive is idle.  You can
see in the log you attached:

> [170639.102539] ehci_hcd 0000:00:0f.5: detected XactErr len 2048/4096
> retry 1

This means that a 4096-byte data transfer was in progress and an error
occurred after 2048 bytes had been sent.  This is a low-level hardware
type of error (the computer did not get an acknowledgement when sending
data).  It is not a software error.

> The bad thing is that it reconnects on another device - initialy
> /dev/sdb, it becomes /dev/sdc, which of course breaks quite a few
> things.
>
> Changing the USB cable did nothing and the disk works fine on other
> computers (Windows-based). I thus suspect a power management bug.

No.  The drive remains at full power as long as it is mounted.  If the
power level were changed, it would show up in your debugging log.

> Before resorting to disabling power management altogether, I would like
> some advice/insights on what is going on here, and would like to help
> solve this issue with the best efforts I can provide.

It appears that the drive disconnected itself from the USB bus.
There's no indication of why this happened.

Alan Stern