Re: During xHC Initialization (device is not connected), when HC-RESET is asserted, software is not expecting WRC or PRC bit set

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Ankit wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Yes, there is a handling of PRC bit in xhci-hub.c
>
> Our query is, at the time of XHCI initialization (inserting xhci-hcd.ko and
> no USB device is attached), is there PRC and CSC bits should be set?
>
> Our host controller sets PRC and CSC bits at the time of initialization,
> even though no USB device is attached. At the time of initialization,
> hub_probe() gets called and in-turn it calls hub_activate(). hub_activate()
> clears the CSC bit, but PRC bit does not get cleared (in linux 3.6.1).
> hub_events() has functionality to clear the PRC bit, but initially there is
> no events from HUB, so hub_events() may not clear the PRC bit. Due to this
> behavior, when we try to insert a USB device, interrupt does not generate
> (because, earlier, PRC bit was set and not cleared) and USB device does not
> get enumerated.
>
> So, would you please tell us, what should be the behavior?

I believe the hub driver needs to clear the USB_PORT_FEAT_C_RESET and
USB_PORT_FEAT_C_OVERCURRENT features along with the other ones in
hub_activate().  Would you like to submit a patch to do this?

Alan Stern