Re: Tons of issues with xhci

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Felipe Contreras
>> <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Here:
>> > http://felipec.org/dmesg.txt.xz
>> >
>> > I simply plugged it in, mounted a fs, checked a directory, waited a
>> > couple minutes, checked another.
>>
>> Sigh
>> http://felipec.org/usbmon.txt.xz
>
> Unfortunately the trace isn't termendously helpful.  It shows a bunch
> of reads with a few writes sprinkled among them.  Then for no apparent
> reason, in the middle of a read the device was disconnected.
>
> Oddly, the bulk-IN URB that was in progress when the disconnect
> occurred did not complete immediately with an error.  Instead it timed
> out after 30 seconds and was cancelled.  Sarah, I thought you had fixed
> that?
>
> The drive reconnected, was re-enumerated, and a few seconds later
> disconnected again.  No way to know the reason for these disconnects;
> they could be symptoms of a bad connection, hardware/firmware bugs, or
> even possibly a bug in xhci-hcd.

So I tried everything, eventually updated the firmware, but in the end
it turns out it was the cable. With the bad cable it seems when
operating in USB2 mode it tends to work fine, which explains a lot.

Anyway, I went back to 3.6.2 without the lpm patches and it still works fine :)

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras