Re: USB-OTG enabled phone mount desktop partitions via USB port

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Jassi Brar <jassisinghbrar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM, 杨苏立 Yang Su Li <yangsuli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have noticed this mailing list has been intensively used to discuss
>> patch development discussion. So please let me know if I should move
>> my question to more appropriate places.
>>
>> In order to experiment something I need to pretend that my phone has a
>> super fast SD card (faster than what is available in the market). So I
>> want to simulate it through desktop ramdisk (which is basically disk
>> in memory). And here is basically my plan:
>>
>> 1. Get an USB-OTG enabled phone (say Samsung galaxy nexus)
>>
>> 2. Connect this phone to a desktop via USB.
>>
>> 3. Naturally this phone will have some kind of USB driver running.
>>
>> 4. In the desktop I run the File-backed Storage Gadget (FSG), which
>> make an USB host to be an USB slave, and presents a block device
>> interface to the host which is backed by a ramdisk.
>>
>> 5. In the phone, mount the FSG mass storage just as an ordinary disk.
>>
> Don't you need to initialize the ramdisk with contents from phone's
> storage ? Otherwise it all boils down as unidirectional transfer of
> files from desktop to phone. For which you don't really need the OTG
> feature.
> If your ramdisk does need to reflect the phone's storage, you'll pay
> during the gadget connect (mount) and disconnect (unmount) times.

I guess there might be some misunderstanding here. The ramdisk does
not need to "reflect"
the phone's storage. The ramdisk IS the phone's storage. Which means
the phone will mount this ramdisk as one of its data partition, and
read/write on that partition at runtime.

Suli

--
Suli Yang

Department of Physics