Re: Link PM policy advice?

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> Hmm, so I've tested the VIA hubs under a different Intel chipset (Lynx
> Point), and they exhibit the same issues as when a bus analyzer is
> connected on Panther Point.  Only the issues show up without the
> analyzer in between.

Come to think of it, you might want to report the Panther Point results
to the company that made the bus analyzer.  It's the sort of thing they
should be interested in fixing.

> I'll do some more triaging, but it looks like some devices may work with
> LPM enabled on some hosts and not others.

Have you spoken to the hardware people at Intel about this?  They
should be interested in hearing about failures in their host
controllers.

>  What do you think about
> dynamically adding device VID:PIDs to a blacklist?

How safe would it be to populate this list?  That is, how sure can you
be that once a device fails with LPM enabled, you can get it to work
again simply by turning off LPM?

Also, how annoying will it be for users if their device fails and has
to be reset (or replugged) every time they boot?

Alan Stern