Re: Dead lock in ehci hcd (3.5.3) with usb-serial adapters.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, jx chang wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Recently I get a dead lock in ehci_hcd and hope someone can look at my analysis.
>
> The symptom is:
>
> When I set loglevel=8 in command line and set console=ttyUSB0,
> 115200n8..., and connect a usb-serial adapter to my target device (a
> tablet running kernel 3.5.3 with several other changes but I guess
> ehci parts should be same as mainstream), the device is dead withing
> several seconds after reboot.
>
> I wrote a small program in user space to dump to disk and enabled
> several debug options in kernel configuration.
>
> The result is the dead lock caught in ehci_hcd as below backtrace
> shows. My analysis is when a function driver submits a urb to ehci_hcd
> in a process, it will finally grab the spin lock "ehci->lock" in
> functions called by ehci_urb_enqueue() to do the job, but it seems
> some lower layer will print out echi's debug information in the
> further steps. If console is set to a usb-serial adapter and loglevel
> is big enough to allow these debug messages out, the prink() just
> output log to the user-serial module which should be a function driver
> based on ehci_hcd stack. Then a new sequence of urb submitting starts
> and calls the same ehci_urb_enqueue() again. The result is the same
> process will try to get the ehci->lock it has held.
>
> Does my analysis make sense? any good solutions if it is so?

Yep, that sounds right.

The solution is: Don't do that!  USB doesn't make for a very good
console device (Greg KH is fond of pointing out that the original
version was written late one night as the result of a drunken bet).

The same deadlock will occur no matter which USB host controller driver
you use, by the way.  There's nothing special about ehci-hcd.

Alan Stern