Re: When enabling usb autosuspend, new usb devices aren't recognized

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012, Florian Merz wrote:

> I've attached the dmesg (USB_DEBUG enabled) output from boot to
> enabling a usb port manually (380) until plugging in a device (404).

I think the problem shows up in these lines:

[    3.520138] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: power state changed by ACPI to D2
[    5.542872] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: power state changed by ACPI to D2
[    5.642683] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: power state changed by ACPI to D2

It may be that your host controllers do not support PCI wakeup from D2.
What does the "lspci -vv" output show for the host controllers (you
have to run it as root)?

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, Florian Merz wrote:

> This morning I noticed that first new USB device I plug in after my
> system resumed from suspend gets recognized, nut only the first.
> I reproduced this after a fresh boot. The dmesg output is attached.
> The USB drive was pluged in three times:
> 1. After booting (around 30)
> 2. After resuming from suspend (around 80) which worked
> 3. After removing the stick i waited a few seconds and inserted it again.

I don't know why the first device plugged in after resume was
recognized.  For some reason the xHCI controller did wake up, even
though it was in D2.

However I can tell you that if you plugged in a second device into a
USB-3 port before unplugging the USB drive, the second device would
have been recognized.  But once all the USB-3 ports were unplugged, the
controller went back into D2 and then would not wake up.

Alan Stern