Re: [RFC] How to handle delays in isochronous transfers?

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012, Jassi Brar wrote:

>>If we progress the h/w pointer of ALSA ring buffer at URB completion (and not at URB submission) this shouldn't affect the latency.
>
> How would this make any difference?  The time between the application
> writing samples to the buffer and the samples actually being played by
> the device would not change.

If we advance the pointer immediately after submission, the total time
a sample spends in flight is ring-buffer + queue length.
If we advance the pointer upon completion, the total time a sample
spends in flight is ring-buffer.

Or I am doped.

Cheers