Re: FTDI driver "error from flowcontrol urb"

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:09:59 PM Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 02:31:12PM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > Also worth mentioning: the RMA replacement unit I have also exhibits this
> > same problem, but neither of them do if I connect the same devices to an
> > old Ubuntu netbook (2.6.32-41-generic).
>
> That's a big range of kernel releases between the working and
> non-working kernel.

I do not think this is a regression. I am also experiencing problems with
another (non-FTDI) USB device and libusb that does not exhibit on the netbook.
The FTDI device also worked fine for months on these kernels 3.1.6, 3.2.2,
3.2.12, 3.4.0, 3.4.3, and 3.4.4. I am suspecting a hardware problem with this
motherboard, but it would still be nice if Linux didn't go crazy and require a
reboot to fix it (I can usually get around other hardware problems by doing a
suspect-to-RAM or suspend-to-disk). Is there any way to get an idea of what
USB chipsets are involved and try to figure out which one has a problem and
how it manifests?

Luke