Re: JMicron 20337 (152d:2338) and 3TB

Robert Hancock wrote:
On 05/08/2012 06:12 PM, Norman Diamond wrote:
On Wed, 2012/5/9, Alan Stern wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2012, Norman Diamond wrote:
Alan Stern wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2012, Norman Diamond wrote:

Sometimes I guess a USB-to-[S]ATA bridge might obey ATA passthru of
an ATA Identify command though I haven't seen one.

The only ones I'm aware of are the entries marked with the SANE_SENSE
quirk in unusual_devs.h: the HP Personal Media Drive (03f0:070c), the
Genesys Logic bridge (05e3:0723), the Seagate FreeAgent Pro
(0bc2:3010), the Maxtor bridge (0d49:7310), the Western Digital bridge
(1058:0704), and a different JMicron bridge (152d:2329).  Of course,
the fact that the flag is set doesn't necessarily mean the device
really does have SAT support.

I have a Vantex NexStar TX 2.5" SATA enclosure that uses:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 152d:2329 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20329 SATA Bridge

and ATA pass-through seems to work (at least as far as commands like hdparm -I and smartctl).

Thank you.  I will buy the following device for experiments:
http://dx.com/p/jmicron-usb-sata-adapter-dongle-12213

I'm not holding my breath expecting it to work with a drive larger than 2.2TB, or DCO commands or security commands, but I'll experiment. In experiments with other JMicron chips, some work with more than 2.2TB sometimes, some handle DCO on some ports but not others, some handle security commands on some ports but not others, some handle a command sometimes but hang other times, etc. I don't really want to buy a JMicron product again, but I'll experiment with this one.