Re: detected XactErr

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Alan!
>
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:08:43 -0400 (EDT)
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Uh, not easy.  This is a production machine.  Acceptable downtime is
> > > very small.  There should be a way to turn it off at runtime.
> >
> > No, there shouldn't.  It's a debugging feature; while debugging we
> > want to see all occurrences of these messages.
> >
> > Production machines should not run debugging kernels.
>
> We'll have to agree to disagree.  My experience is the fun bugs only happen
> in production.  A big NASA study years ago proved that after spending $1M
> per line of code that only half the bugs could be caught before live
> missions.

Well, put it this way: Production machines should not run debugging
kernels unless you're actually trying to debug something.  For normal
operation, a debugging kernel should not be used.

Remember, the purpose of a debugging kernel is not to provoke bugs or
notify you that the bugs exist.  Normal kernels do these things just
fine.  The purpose is to help find the cause of bugs.

Alan Stern