Re: bisected regression, v3.5 -> next-20120724: PCI PM causes USB hotplug failure

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For me there's also an issue of style: If you do a synchronous get then it
> looks odd not to do a synchronous put.  My feeling has always been that
> the async routines are for use in non-process contexts, where the sync
> routines can't be used.  Using them just to return a little more
> quickly is a foreign idea.

Another way of looking at it is - I need h/w to be active in order to
proceed so I call get_sync but I don't care if the h/w is not put down
immediately after I am done using it. So the put could be
relaxed/async - At best, we could avoid an unnecessary suspend-resume
cycle which could be expensive power and time wise. At worst, we
return a bit quicker. Or so do I think.