Re: usb scheduler

Alexey Filin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you require consumer interfaces and you want neither USB nor
>> Ethernet then I guess there is only FireWire left to choose from.
>
> "The FireWire host interface supports DMA and memory-mapped devices"

This is the interface between the host controller and its driver.

The interesting thing about FireWire would be RDMA, but allowing the
device to read/write the PC's memory doesn't help you much because there
is no indication when it did so, so you'd need additional transactions
to tell your driver about this.

With a 3.2 GHz CPU and under ideal conditions (using queued posted
quadlet writes), I can get about 120000 FireWire packets per second.
With such small packets, the bottleneck is the CPU because of the packet
queueing overhead.  What you need is some protocol that does not use
packets.

Regards,
Clemens