Re: usb scheduler

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Alexey Filin wrote:
>
>> So USB is not a "classic" bus and not universal, it is a network with
>> non-constant delay.
>>
>> Are there USB controllers with the "synchronous transfers" reported
>> not on microframe boundary, so we can get response less 125 us?
>> Is there any USB2.0 spec extension declaring "synchronous transfers"?
>>
>> USB is a good choice for some bus adapters, it is used widely, cheap,
>> simple. For 2-byte read/write we could use either two bulk IN/OUT
>> endpoints (131 * 8kHz ~ 1 MHz) or one control endpoint (table 5-3, 42
>> * 8 kHz = 336 kHz). Ethernet is overkill for the task even if it could
>> provide 1 us delay.
>
> Gigabit ethernet can transfer around 1000 bits every microsecond.  In
> theory that's enough to handle two 2-byte transfers.  But I don't know
> what the latency is; probably it depends on the hardware and the
> driver.

It seems RDMA doesn't use TCP/IP stack and requires hw support for low latency.

>> Is it possible for USB Implementers Forum to add extension for
>> "synchronous transfers" to be handled asynchronously with microframe
>> boundaries?
>> Existing bus adapters use frequently closed proprietary protocols for
>> pc-adapter link, e.g. CAEN CONET for PCI(e)-VME (I talk about remote
>> adapters to access with a link, not bridges)...
>
> Peter's response was right on the money.  USB wasn't designed to do
> what you want and it wasn't intended to be used that way.  You should
> look into a different technology.  I don't know offhand what schemes
> offer latencies under 1 us, however.

e.g. memory-mapped IO, Linux provides it already. I see 2-3 us delay
for 2-byte transfers over PCI-VME-Qbus adapters.

I see 5-6 us delay over custom-made PCI-Qbus adapter with IO ports.

>  With a general-purpose OS like
> Linux, even with the realtime modifications, you'll find it very
> difficult to achieve such a low latency.

I don't need hard 1 us real-time delay, I need average 1 us delay for 2-byte IO

> Alan Stern

I got good answers, thanks

Alexey.