Re: Kernel OOPS in usb_submit_urb in drivers/usb/core/urb.c

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:25:44PM +0200, Damjan wrote:
> While playing with my custom made i2c-tiny-usb adapter I triggered
> this kernel OOPS in usb_submit_urb in the drivers/usb/core/urb.c
> file.
>
> From looking at the file, before line 329 it needs to check if
> &ep->desc is NULL, before it sends it to the usb_endpoint_type
> (inline) function.
>
> As seen in the oops, I suppose that it tried to send some usb
> packets even after the device got disconnected, which is another
> problem, but it still shouldn't oops the kernel.
>
> The attached patch, seems to fix the usb_submit_urb/usbcore part of
> the problem just fine.
>
> I'm just not sure if -EINVAL is a correct error number to return?

How did you continue to send data to the device if the device is gone?
Did you forget to stop a timer or something?

Odds are the device is long cleaned up, so you might need to just ensure
that you have a reference to the device if you keep a pointer to it so
this doesn't happen in the future.  Do you have a pointer to your driver
anywhere?

thanks,

greg k-h