Re: cdc-acm.c driver question

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:04:46PM -0400, Christopher Waid wrote:
> I'm hoping you can help. As far as I can tell you are the current
> maintainer of the cdc-acm.c driver. This code or a related piece of code I
> believe needs to be updated in order to support a newer USB modem
> "automatically". I'm not that familiar with what needs updating though.

I'm not the cdc-acm maintainer, but I've added Oliver and linux-usb as
CCs.

> I'll tell you what I know and hopfully you can point me in the right
> direction. We have two modems with the CX93010 chipset and different
> device IDs.
>
> The first one with 0803:3095 works when we plug it in (on a fresh
> install). There is nothing we have to really do other than start up
> gnome-ppp and add the right permissions.
>
> The other has a device ID of 0572:1340. It also uses the CX93010 chipset.
> When we plug it (on a fresh install) in gnome-ppp can't find the modem.
>
> On a fresh install where we first plug in 0803:3095, unplug it, and then
> plug in 0572:1340 the 0572:1340 modem works. I assume that is because
> something is picking up 0803:3095 and creating the proper /dev/ttyACM0. It
> appears there is something more that is done though as when we ran "mknod
> /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0" it still doesn't work (I'm not sure if it should as
> maybe there is more that is beind done behind the scenes or maybe this
> isn't the right configuration).

You shouldn't have to create any device nodes by hand. We probably just
need to add a "quirk" for your new device to the cdc-acm driver.

Can you post the output of "lsusb -vd 0572:1340" and perhaps also any
relevant entries from the system log from when you plug in the device?

Thanks,
Johan