Re: needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Alan!
>
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 20:45:34 -0400 (EDT)
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > That port may be a USB 2.0 port, but it is connected to the xHCI
> > controller.  This means that using it is exactly the same as using a
> > USB 3.0 port with a USB 2.0 cable -- it's not a thorough test.
>
> I claim no thoroughness, just that whatever I do it seems to fail.  If
> you have any tests you want me to run I will do so.

I'm not going to be much help debugging this -- it's Sarah's bailiwick.

> > In other words, it's very different from connecting the device to an
> > EHCI controller.
>
> You are the first to mention EHCI.   Why do you do so?

People tend to be very careless about the distinctions between USB-2,
USB-3, high speed, SuperSpeed, EHCI, and xHCI.  They tend to use
"USB-2", "high speed", and "EHCI" synonymously, and the same for
"USB-3", "SuperSpeed", and "xHCI".  These terms are not synonymous, and
sometimes the difference matters.

In particular, it can matter a lot during debugging.  Thus, you and
Sarah have been talking about USB-2 vs. USB-3 -- and yet the impression
I got was that Sarah really meant EHCI vs. xHCI.  Maybe my impression
was wrong.

Alan Stern

P.S.: People are equally careless about smaller matters, like the
difference between USB 2.0 and USB 2.10.  Again, they aren't the same
thing, and calling them both "USB 2.0" can lead to confusion.