"Resource Temporarily Unavailable" error opening device file beginning with linux kernel 2.6.37.1

Hello,

I develop linux drivers for an embedded system with USB devices. The USB drivers in question have been stable for a while, at least since linux 2.6.26.n. We have to move the system to the newest 2.6 kernel (2.6.39.4) that has support for video hardware. When I built the embedded system's USB drivers for the 2.6.39.4 kernel, I keep getting the error message "Resource Temporarily Unavailable" when attempting to 'cat' the device file. No error message appear in the syslog. My USB driver uses the same kind of calls as usb-skeleton.c to create the device file via usb_register() in the init function and usb_register_dev() in the probe callback. The device is create with a dynamic minor number in its name in /dev as expected. But every use of this file comes back with the error. My debug printk indicate my open function is not ever being called.

I checked the difference between usb-skeleton.c files and there has only been an addition of adding a llseek entry in the file operations structure. I modified my driver and it didn't make a difference - long shot.

I tested kernels 2.6.39.4, 2.6.38.8, 2.6.37.7, 2.6.37.1, 2.6.36.4. It works in kernels before and including 2.6.36.4. It stops working for all kernels tested beyond and including 2.6.37.1.

I have another class of driver not using the usb api to create device files. None of those exhibit this problem. That is why I am posting this in this linux-usb forum.

Thanks in advance,
Donald Kayser
linux at kayser dot net