Re: Callback not called on bulk out transfer with usbfs

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012, Austin Schuh wrote:
>
>> > A known software bug could also cause interrupts to get lost, although
>> > I have never observed this.  A patch (for the 3.4 kernel) to fix this
>> > bug is below; you could try it with ehci->need_io_watchdog set back to
>> > 0.
>>
>> The fix below with ehci->need_io_watchdog set to 0 locks up.
>
> Was that using a 3.4 kernel, or are you still back on 2.6.38?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  All the testing (with the
exception of the other box below) has been done with the 2.6.38
kernel.  I applied your patch by hand to 2.6.38.8.

>> To add another data point, I ran the code on a machine with
>> USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
>> and kernel
>> 2.6.32-41-generic #89-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 27 22:18:56 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> and it worked.  I ran it for over 1000 cycles without issue.
>
> You changed two things here: the EHCI vendor and the kernel version.
> What happens if you change only one a time?

Correct.  I'll try running the 2.6.38.8 kernel on it.  The setup is
sufficiently different that it could take me a bit to build and
install.  I'm not sure what this says though, since case
PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA in ehci-pci.c doesn't clear
ehci->need_io_watchdog, so it is using the workaround that made the
intel devices work.

Austin Schuh