FTDI bitbang support

Hi all,

I have just written a new driver with basic support of bitbang modes
in FTDI USB-UART chips (as now this is only supported in user space
via the libftdi or others). I am planning to send it to the list for
evaluation. Before doing that, I have some questions:
1. The reason of writing a new driver and not modifying the existing
ftdi_sio driver has been:
 - The current ftdi_sio driver is correctly focused in serial
communication and a modification in that way in my opinion would not
be recommended.
 - I also don't like the idea to modify the very well done ftdi_sio driver
Did you agree?
2. I initially placed this new driver into drivers/usb/misc. I don't
know if this is the right place?
3. As a counterpart, doing a new driver for an existing supported
chip, causes that different drivers try to claim the same pair
vendor/product id. I solved that locally via udev rules but I don't
know if this is an acceptable solution for the kernel. Any idea on how
to deal with that?

Comments are welcome (and expected :-) )
Jaume R.