Re: usbhid driver gets loaded instead of the useful driver

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a device (a microscope automation controller) which has a USB
>> port which uses a standard RS232 to USB converter, by Cypress. They
>> just changed their vendor id and product id from the standard cypress
>> ID. I added their IDs to the cypress_m8 source, compiled, and put the
>> updated cypress_m8.ko file in /lib/modules/.
>>
>> When I plug the device the cypress_m8 driver isn't being used.
>> Instead, the generic usbhid driver is used, which isn't what I wanted.
>
> That doesn't make much sense.  The usbhid driver binds only to devices
> that advertise an HID interface, whereas you're talking about a serial
> interface.

If I understand correctly, the serial communication is done by the HID
interface of the device.

>> If I run:
>>
>> modprobe -r usbhid cypress_m8
>> modprobe cypress_m8
>> modprobe usbhid
>>
>> then when I plug the device, the cypress_m8 driver is being used, and
>> I can use /dev/ttyUSB0, just as I wanted.
>>
>> It seems that the order in which drivers are loaded affects the
>> priority: the driver which was loaded first gets to catch the device.
>
> There is no priority; it's simply a matter of order.
>
>> So my question is, is there a way to permanently change the driver
>> priority, so that the right driver will be loaded by default?
>
> There is not, since there are no priorities.  However, there _is_ a way
> to permanently change the usbhid driver and prevent it from ever
> binding to your device.  You merely have to add an entry to the
> hid_ignore_list array in drivers/hid/hid-core.c.

Great! Indeed, that list includes the IDs of the cypress usb-rs232
converter on which the device is based. I added the modified ID and it
works!

Thank you very much,
Noam