Re: [RFC] usb: Add support for root hub port status CAS

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 12:48:14AM -0700, Stanislaw Ledwon wrote:
> >> The CAS bit is defined only on XHCI port status so I thought that this
> >> is
> >> better to not propagate this bit to core/hub. When the bogus bit is
> >> defined in the reserved area of the port status then some conflicts are
> >> possible on future USB products.
> >> I think that this bogus bit should not be associated only with CAS but
> >> should be used as general port reset request form controller specific
> >> layer.
> >> The reset on Compliance Modes should be supported as well - based on
> >> USB3.0 HUB state diagram this is only possible way to return from this
> >> state.
> >
> > OK.

Since we don't have a well-defined link state for when the CAS bit is
set, I think it's better to fake the compliance mode in the xhci hub
code.  I also really would like to avoid adding fake port status bits to
the USB core.  I know that's what was done for USB 2.0, but it causes
confusion for new developers (including myself), and as Staszek pointed
out, it may break any future xHCI extensions.

So I think that Staszek should stick with faking compliance mode in
order to force the USB core to issue a warm reset.

Sarah Sharp