Re: [RFC] xhci: Let completion handlers run before rings are restarted.

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 01:12:44PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
> > Or just change libusb to not break up large transfers, and get rid of
> > the BULK_CONTINUATION flag all together.  libusb should submit
> > the whole transfer to usbfs with an iovec.  usbfs can then:
> >
> >  a) verify each iovec entry is not too long
> >  b) verify the total length of the iovec isn't too big
> >  c) translate each iovec entry into one sglist vector
> >  d) submit one URB with a populated sglist to the USB core
>
> I think this would work.  But it wouldn't help people trying to use
> libusb with xHCI on older kernels.

No, it wouldn't help them.  At some point though, users just need to
upgrade their kernels.  And if enterprise distro kernels decide they
care about those particular users, they can pick up the patches.  I
think Hans was already volunteering to try and push the necessary kernel
changes for RHEL.

It might be worth it to ensure that the old usbfs calls without iovecs
can co-exist with the new calls, so that we don't break older API.  That
will make it easier to convince distro kernels to pick up the usbfs
changes.

Sarah Sharp