Re: [RFC 10/13] USB: Add macros for interrupt endpoint types.

On Thu, 17 May 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > (And why do you think interrupt endpoints should always be of the
> > Periodic type?)
>
> It feels like an abuse of the interrupt endpoint type.  Why not just use
> a bulk endpoint and NAK that IN transfer until there's data?  I think
> device vendors just want to reserve bandwidth in case the bus is really
> full and the host is deferring bulk packets over periodic transfers.

Well, yes.  That's the obvious reason -- to make use of the guaranteed
latency of interrupt transfers.

Of course, if the data is going to be sent over bulk endpoints anyway
once the notification has been received, then there's little point in
sending the notification quickly...

Alan Stern