Re: Sierra wireless Model: MC8790 qmi_wwan? Howto to test?

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 22:58 +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2012, 22:36:01 schrieben Sie:
> > On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 21:38 +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > the new qmi-wwan-driver supports a lot of hardware.
> >
> > It only supports hardware based on newer Qualcomm chipsets that speak
> > the proprietary QMI protocol, which is mainly for MSM72xx, 8xxx, and
> > 9xxx.
> >

> > This device is already supported by the 'sierra' serial driver.  The IDs
> > were added to the kernel on 2009-06-11 and was part of the 2.6.31 and
> > later kernels.  Unless your kernel is really, really old, it should
> > already work.
>

> It does work without problems(ppp). But the wwan-interface looks nicer/faster
> :-)
>

> > This indicates that the device is based on the Qualcomm MSM6290 chip,
> > which does not support QMI.  This generation of Sierra devices only
> > speak DIAG, CnS, and AT.  And obviously you've found one of the
> > AT-capable ports, so that indicates the modem is already supported by
> > the 'sierra' driver.
>
> > No, this device cannot be supported by qmi-wwan because it does not
> > speak QMI.
>

> That was the  thing I want to know.
> The second qustion was, how to get this information the easy way. Because the
> year of manufacturing is a bad indicator - the quite old ZTE K3565-Z supports
> the new wwan/qmi-interface, of course also working with ppp for years.
>
> Thanks a lot for your clarification.

So anyway, in light of my other mail to Bjorn, the 8790 is a Gobi-class
device and also appears to be capable of supporting QMI.  But Sierra
historically uses their CnS protocol instead, and usually often doesn't
enable QMI on their devices.  But that may have changed.  But what we
want to do for Sierra devices, if they have indeed been customized by
Sierra (which most are) is use the 'sierra' and 'sierra_net' drivers if
we can, since these drivers are meant for Sierra devices that use CnS
and HIP.

However, if the 8790 (and other Sierra Gobi-based devices) do indeed
provide QMI access in a *regular* manner (ie, doesn't need to be enabled
via special commands like Bjorn had to do) then we should drive them
with qcserial and qmi_wwan.

It all depends on how the device's firmware is actually exposing the
device.  Sierra usually uses HIP/CnS for their devices, and that's how
we should usually talk to them.

Dan