Re: USB: serial: ch341: remove reset_resume callback

Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2012, 16:50:47 schrieb Alan Stern:
> [CC: list trimmed slightly]
>
> On Wed, 9 May 2012, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2012, 16:39:05 schrieb Alan Stern:

> > > Still, without proper support in the lower drivers, it's not clear how
> > > well this can work.  That's why we originally decided to unbind drivers
> > > that don't support reset-resume.
> >
> > But sierra has this support.
>
> No, it doesn't.  It has a reset-resume routine, but that routine
> doesn't actually restore the device's settings.  It just logs an error
> message and then tries to do a normal resume.

Well, why does it have to be different?
We have decided that dialing is a function of user space.
We cannot assume more. Still the kernel needs to do identity management.
We don't expect the kernel driver to restore a connection that has broken
down for a reason other than power management.

> I guess the right approach is to add a .reset_resume field into struct
> usb_serial_driver.  Then when usb_serial_register_drivers() creates the
> dynamic usb_driver structure, it can skip setting the reset_resume
> pointer if any of the serial drivers doesn't support reset-resume.

That sounds like a sound plan.

	Regards
		Oliver