RE: Easily reproducible Linux 3.3.2 Oops in ehci_work().

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Christian Melki wrote:

> Turned out I was chasing something likely/partly attributed to bad hardware.
> Another unit, exactly the same hardware and same software image,
> does not manifest this problem at all.
>
> I'm however not satisfied with the excuse of hardware problem.
> The consistency and exactness of the error suggests otherwise (even the
> same invalid value in the urb_index every time.).
> I had no other problems with the machine, including USB, what so ever.
> This _really_ bugs me.

Too bad.  Things like that can be very hard to diagnose.

> I know to little about USB, but is it possible that bad data is slipping
> in somewhere from hardware that is not sanity checked (USB crc)?

Very unlikely.  Even if it were, the data you're dealing with (iTD
index array and so on) does not come from the hardware; it is entirely
internal to the host OS.

> I don't intend to chase this further if it does not rear it's ugly head again.
> Well, unless someone want's me to test anything specific.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help Alan,
> I really appreciated it.

You're welcome.  Good luck.

Alan Stern