Re: Changes to power management in ehci-tegra

On 04/18/2012 09:22 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> After than, I can set tegra-ehci.2/usb3/power/control=auto, and see the
>> root hub (tegra-ehci.2/usb3/power) suspending/resuming as devices are
>> unplugged/plugged.
>>
>> I just can't have tegra-ehci.2/power/control=auto while nothing is
>> plugged in, or the cycle starts again.
>
> In other words, if both the root hub and the controller are powered
> down, then neither one wakes up when a device is plugged in?

Yes.

>> I assume this a bug in the Tegra EHCI driver's suspend implementation?
>
> Actually it sounds like a bug in the controller's wakeup mechanism.
> Maybe a hardware bug, maybe a software bug.
>
> While looking through the code, I didn't notice anything about enabling
> wakeups.  But I wasn't looking very carefully, because I don't know how
> the Tegra platform works.  A quick search through the patch now seems
> to show that wakeups never get enabled at all!
>
> How well does the existing driver work if you enable the
> power_down_on_bus_suspend flag in the platform data?

power_down_on_bus_suspend is always enabled for the Tegra EHCI controllers.

The existing driver works fine (with or without USB_SUSPEND=y and
PM_RUNTIME=y), although doesn't ever runtime-suspended, so I guess this
is just hiding the problem:

/sys/devices/tegra-ehci.2# cat {,usb3/}power/{control,runtime_status}
auto
unsupported
auto
active

(I see the same with or without anything plugged in)

By the way, how broken is the current tegra_ehci_hub_control()? I see
that it mostly duplicates ehci_hub_control() for a few cases, but has
diverged a little since, e.g. the set_bit()/clear_bit() calls are using
"wIndex - 1" instead of "wIndex" etc. Also, I wonder if the logic in the
ClearPortFeature/USB_PORT_FEAT_ENABLE case might be worth moving into
ehci-hub.c, if it's generally applicable? I did try removing that
function and making the driver use ehci_hub_control() instead, but that
didn't solve the resume issue.