Re: USB timeout during S3 suspend w/ NEC Corporation uPD720200

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 13:55, Thilo-Alexander Ginkel <thilo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:18, Xu, Andiry <Andiry.Xu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> It doesn't necessarily mean that the host got removed.  When the PCI
>>> host controller goes into D3, the registers will read as 0xffffffff.  So
>>> I suspect the host was just suspended when the polling loop ran.  We
>>> need a better way for the polling loop to know the host controller died
>>> instead of checking the registers.
>>
>> I agree with you, but for this case, the suspend is actually failed:
>> Stop xHC in xhci_suspend() timeout and the function returns -110.
>> The save state register is not set. I think the PCI host controller
>> does not go into D3 in this case, right?
>
> P.S.: Just updated to 3.3 - I'll keep you updated whether the freezes
> are still an issue...

Just had another freeze while running

Linux orion 3.3.1 #30 SMP Mon Apr 2 23:33:43 CEST 2012 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Same symptoms, i.e., suspending fails with return code -110.

Do you have an idea what actually causes the freeze? Does the kernel
wait until all devices are suspended (in my case infinitely)?

Would it be possible to work around the issue be letting the system
enter S3 anyway and reinitialize the USB controller on resume? Can I
force this by unloading the xhci module?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Thilo