Re: Odd dmesg

On Sunday, April 15, 2012 02:44:25 PM Alan Stern did opine:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, gene heskett wrote:
> > Plugging in a DSO I just bought from fleabay, I get this in dmesg:
>
> > scsi 13:0:0:0: Direct-Access     e-Design  DSO Flash Disk  1.0  PQ: 0
> > ANSI: 2
> > sd 13:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 0
> > sd 13:0:0:0: [sdf] Unsupported sector size 1.
> > sd 13:0:0:0: [sdf] 0 512-byte logical blocks: (0 B/0 B)
> > sd 13:0:0:0: [sdf] 1-byte physical blocks

> > A one byte per sector disk?  Boggles my mind.
>
> That's a new one for me too.
>
> > Is there anything I can do about it, and updating its firmware,
> > besides finding a winderz box?
>
> Well, you could patch your kernel to use 512 as the sector size
> whenever the device says 1 byte.  But you'd probably prefer to fix the
> device -- which means updating its firmware.
>
> The manufacturers may not be aware of this problem, though.  Perhaps
> they'll point you to a fix if you inform them.

If it was a makers problem, I'd think the web would be alive with similar
squawks, and this is all opensource code too.  It appears I have a unique
situation here.  I get that same 1 byte sector thing regardless of which
port I plug it into, including direct to a motherboard port.

> Alan Stern

I have posted a message on the seeeq forum in the DSO Nano area, containing
this info, and asking for a clue or 3.  But that was about 2 hours ago, and
its a nice warm (83F) Sunday here so I didn't expect a 15 minute response.
In the meantime, I'm looking around for a winderz box whose owner will let
me install the windows version of dfu-utils.  I have the .dfu files on a
USB key if I can find a usable box.

Thanks for looking at it Alan.  In case this drags on, what file would I
patch to put that conditional in?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When God created two sexes, he may have been overdoing it.
		-- Charles Merrill Smith