Re: usb-storage multiple usb-sata bridges disconnect themselves sometimes, when growisofs gives error X, retrying enough times gets error Y (and the bridge reset with usb consequences sometimes)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Reartes Guillermo wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I actually created a dropbox account, these are the links. I believe
> this was the order in which i performed the tests:

What are these blktrace files?  I don't recognize them.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/usbmon-sunplus-1bcf_0c31-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.1-f16.out.gz

This shows the bridge stopped transferring data in the middle of a
write and then disconnected itself when it was reset.  No apparent
reason.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/blktrace-sunplus-1bcf_0c31-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.1-f16.out.gz
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/usbmon-sunplus-04fc_0c25-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.1-f16.out.gz

This doesn't show much of anything -- something like a keyboard or
trackpad got woken up and then put back to sleep.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/blktrace-sunplus-04fc_0c25-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.1-f16.out.gz
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/usbmon-JMicron-152d_2338-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.1-f16.out.gz

This shows the bridge either died or got unplugged a couple of times.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/usbmon-JMicron-152d_2338-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.2-f16.out.gz

This shows pretty much the same thing as the first sunplus file.

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72741231/blktrace-JMicron-152d_2338-teac_dv_w28ss_rz3-TEST-20120411.2-f16.out.gz

You know, it's possible that the problem lies not in the bridges but in
your computer's USB hardware.  That might explain why other devices
(like the trackpad) got messed up at the same time.

Alan Stern