Re: usb-storage multiple usb-sata bridges disconnect themselves sometimes, when growisofs gives error X, retrying enough times gets error Y (and the bridge reset with usb consequences sometimes)

Alan,

Thanks for the quick answer.

>> Messages:
>> XXXX kernel: [ 6027.939013] usb 2-1.1: reset high-speed USB device
>> number 7 using ehci_hcd
>>
>> When that happens, all said bridges do disconnect and reset.
>> They came back and remain functional. But sometimes with certain effects.
>>
>> Like when (04fc:0c25) was disconnected and reset. it came back, but
>> the touchpad became sloppy and some false keypresses happened. Reset
>
> What touchpad?  Does your DVD drive have a touchpad?

No, of course :-)
It did affect my laptop's touchpad (choppy movement) and keyboard (key
pressed on their own) until i rebooted.

>> was required. Problem
> What sort of reset?  The log message above indicates that the device
> had just been reset; why did it need another reset?

The growisofs error:
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]:
Input/output error
happens with such writer attached directly to a sata controller, so it
is definitivelly not usb related.

I believe that when such error happens with said writer attached to
such USB-SATA bridges (or maybe others) sometimes
the bridge disconnects, resets ans return, instead of giving the same
error again without disconnecting. Or maybe there is another
error/event/issue that causes the disconnection and reset. I am not
saying that the reset is wrong, but i am investigating why those
bridges are being disconnecting.

> If you want to track this down, you should collect a usbmon trace.
> Read the instructions in Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

I Captured them when that happened (using the port to where the bridge
were plugged)

# cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/2u > ~/file.out

Two of them are prety big, 3mb (compressed) and one not so much.
should i upload them somewhere or attach them here?

Cheers.