From: Alan Stern [mailto:stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:23 AM
To: Brink, Peter
Cc: Anil Nair; Greg KH; John Freeman; linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: USB 3.0 A-to-A

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Brink, Peter wrote:

> It's not that you cannot do it, you just have to have a blob or dongle
> in the middle that is going to do the client work for both sides.
> It's a little more complicated solution, since you have to have an
> object that can communicate with two hosts.  I have not researched
> A-to-A cables, but I know that they exist and have been used for that
> purpose.  The warnings on the following link apply:

This is not entirely correct.

Section 5.5.2 of the USB-3.0 specification (USB 3.0 Standard-A to USB
3.0 Standard-A Cable Assembly) says:

	The USB-3.0 Standard-A to USB-3.0 Standard-A cable assembly is
	defined for operating system debugging and other host-to-host
	connection applications.

Table 5-10 then defines the appropriate pin connections, in which the TX pair on each end is wired directly to the RX pair on the other end.
There does not need to be any "blob" or dongle in the middle of the cable.  Some host controllers have the capability to communicate directly with each other.

Alan Stern