Re: PROBLEM: Logitech unifying receiver connected through usb-switch crashes the host.

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:32:12AM +0200, dpc@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Logitech K520 keyboard M310 mouse, wirelessly connected
> to unifying receiver.
>
> If I plug the receiver into usb-switch the computer crashes, in average
> after 30 minutes. The crash does not leave any trace on host: sometimes
> computer hard-hangs, sometimes it reboots.
>
> The receiver works fine if connected right into the host. The usb-switch
> (I've tried two) works fine with many other devices causing no problems. The
> crash does not happen if receiver is plugged via simple usb extension cable,
> only plugging it after the usb-switch causes it.
>
> It took me a while to find a root of this problem as there is no evidence on
> what went wrong and it's hard to connect the fact that you just replugged
> the receiver somewhere else with a silent reboot few hours ago (yes,
> sometimes it can take a while to trigger). I was suspecting other bugs in
> kernels or problems with my hardware, but after a lot of testing, I've
> finally connected the dots and where able to reproduce this in enough
> situations to be sure about this behaviour.
>
> I've been experiencing the problem with dozens of kernels, tried Ubuntu
> 11.10 and 12.04 (beta) so far.

Have you tried any kernel.org releases?  If you are stuck with Ubuntu
kernels, I suggest filing a bug in their bug tracking system and their
developers can help you with this much better than we can.

If you can try a kernel.org release, please try 3.3.1 and let us know
what kernel log messages show up when the crash happens.

Also ensure that you aren't running any closed-source graphics drivers,
we can't really help you with your kernel if they are running (and they
might be the crash problem in the first place.)

thanks,

greg k-h