Re: Does a USB mouse wake a system up from S3?

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On Monday 02 April 2012 20:02:23 Don Zickus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some customers asking why a usb mouse doesn't wake a system up from
> > S3 on RHEL-6.  I have poked at a 3.3 kernel and noticed the same
> > behaviour.  Is this true or do I have something misconfigured?
> >
> > I talked with Matthew Garret about this, he mentioned something like
> > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/wakeup would need to enabled for the mouse
> > to work.  I tried this with no success.

In addition, you have to make sure the mouse itself is enabled for
wakeup.  And the host controller the mouse is attached to (although
this should be true by default).

> > So before I started to investigated, I was wondering what the expectations
> > were for something like this.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes you need to press a button on the USB mouse, before the USB remote
> wakeup event is generated, and not just move the mouse around.

Especially if it's an optical mouse.  When an optical mouse is
suspended, it doesn't get enough power to illuminate its LED.  Hence it
is unable to track any movements.

Alan Stern