Re: [Libusb-devel] issue with testing USB3.0 with new kernel

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> AFAIK the 0xee is not sent by Linux kernel, it is sent by mtp-probe
> (part of libmtp, media transfer protocol) which is run via udev rule.
> I'm not sure why there is a difference between Linux 3.0.0 and 2.6.38?

I've had problems with libmtp accessing devices it shouldn't,
and firing requests at them that locks them up. Yes, the
devices shouldn't lock up, but they do, and there is no
way to change that, so the only way of dealing with
the situation is to be rather careful about what gets
send to an unknown device.

It seems that some unfortunate history involving Microsoft has resulted
in various media devices not being marked with an appropriate
Device Class, so libmtp interrogates all DeviceClass 0x00 and 0xff
devices, trying to figure out if they are a Media device or not.
This has caused problems, and has prevented devices from
working on Linux that worked perfectly well before the wide
use of libmtp.

My preferred fix would be for libmtp to have a white list of
VID/PID for devices that it is allowed to interrogate, but the approach
being taken seems to involve using various heuristics (ie. number of
end points) instead.

Graeme Gill.