Re: pl2303.c and the pin status

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Gerald Villemure wrote:

> > There's a simple solution to that problem.  Just start running
> > statserial (or whatever program you like) _before_ plugging anything
> > into the serial port.  Then you can set RTS and DTR to their proper
> > values right away and afterwards watch what happens.
> You are correct.  But its not very practical for production use.

Why not?

> Most people use a windows program called RealTerm for playing with the
> Serial port pins.  Which for debugging is fine.  But I would prefer to
> have the final product work under Linux

What's your point?  You can have a final product that works under Linux
in spite of the fact that most people use a Windows program called
RealTerm.

> I think we need to separate 2 distinct issues here:
>
> 1. The inability to read the pin status without altering the status of
> DTR/RTS

In fact a patch was posted today which might fix that problem.  See

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=133251291329893&w=2

> 2. The simplification of working with the pins.
>
> Issue 1 is somewhat of a show stopper for some projects but fixing this
> by itself would likely create more problems than it fixes.  In truth,
> this issue is NOT where I want to focus my attention.
>
> Issue 2 is about finding a long term solution to this particular need
> that home based electronic projects have.  I realize that using the pins
> on a RS232 port as a simple form of IO is a strange and unexpected use
> of the technology, but we could say that for much of what we use today.

I can't imagine it would be very hard to write a small program for
working with the serial handshaking lines, if statserial doesn't do
what you want.  This just doesn't seem like a problem at all.

Alan Stern