Re: pl2303.c and the pin status

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Gerald Villemure wrote:

> > Alternatively, why not write a program that opens the serial port and
> > provides an easy interface for reading and writing the values of the
> > line settings (or are these the modem settings? -- I never can remember
> > which are which).
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> Actually there is a program like this called statserial. Its an easy
> install in debian.
>
> You can see an example of it here:
> http://dereenigne.org/computers/linux/statserial

Does statserial give you a way to change the settings as well as view
them?  You need to do both.

> The problem is that by simply calling up the program you alter RTS and DTR
>
> At this point there is no way, at least to my knowledge, to simply query
> the status of the RTS/DTS pins.

There's a simple solution to that problem.  Just start running
statserial (or whatever program you like) _before_ plugging anything
into the serial port.  Then you can set RTS and DTR to their proper
values right away and afterwards watch what happens.

(However, I suspect you won't be able to use the serial port in
another program while statserial is running.  Maybe that's okay for
what you want to do.)

Alan Stern