Re: Forward porting of the USB Driver Controller from 26.34.10 to 3.2.11

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:02:35PM +0000, Stojsavljevic, Zoran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask some questions about forward porting of the USB
> Driver Controller (UDC) from 2.6.34.10 to 3.2.11 kernel.

Which specific driver controller are you referring to?  Why isn't it
already in the main kernel.org tree?  Any pointers to where the code is
at?

> I see that there are some changes in the gadget framework, and this
> is what I have noticed so far:
>
> [1] Functions usb_gadget_register_driver() and
> 	usb_gadget_unregister_driver() are moved up to gadget
> 	driver framework;
> [2] usb_gadget_probe_driver() replaced
> 	usb_gadget_register_driver();
> [3] There also two new functions added in UDC framework:
> 	xxxxx_start() and xxxx_stop(), example taken from
> 	net2280.c:
> static int net2280_start(struct usb_gadget *_gadget,
> 	struct usb_gadget_driver *driver);
> 	static int net2280_stop(struct usb_gadget *_gadget,
> 	struct usb_gadget_driver *driver);
>
> static const struct usb_gadget_ops net2280_ops = {
> 	.get_frame      = net2280_get_frame,
>         .wakeup         = net2280_wakeup,
>         .set_selfpowered = net2280_set_selfpowered,
>         .pullup         = net2280_pullup,
>         .udc_start      = net2280_start,
>         .udc_stop       = net2280_stop,
> }
>
> Does anybody have set of guidelines/can point set of guidelines how
> to adapt to the new interfaces, if there is forward porting effort to be
> made?
>
> Or maybe ad-hoc short description how to do forward porting?

Sort version:
	1) increment kernel version
	2) apply patch
	3) fix up problems
	4) go to step 1

As you have access to the entire source history, you know exactly what
changed for every step along the way, no need to detail it all here.

When you are finished, please post your code for inclusion in the main
kernel tree so you don't have to do this anymore.

Best of luck,

greg k-h