xHCI not waking up after S3 Resume on Ivybridge

I have two machines where the Intel xHCI devices don't wake up from runtime
suspend after a S3 suspend/resume on Xen 4.0.3 and Linux 3.2.9.

The first is a Ivybridge laptop and after resuming on battery, inserting a
usb device into a port no longer wakes up the xHCI device. Changing the power
mode from "auto" to "on" fixes it. It is not broken on Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 with
Linux 3.2.0.

I have also have a Intel SDP desktop where setting the power mode to "auto" on
the xHCI device does not break device insertion enabling the device on a fresh
boot, but does break it after a S3 resume.

I have an instrumented kernel and see no rpm_resume for this device int he bad
case. Wake up works fine  for devices plugged into EHCI.

I've also posted this to xen-devel earlier:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-03/msg00727.html