Re: rt8192cu on USB3

On 9 March 2012 01:56, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 05:26 AM, jerome huang wrote:
>>

>> I found a interesting thing.
>>
>> Here is my original test steps:
>> 1. plugin 8192 =>  at this step, modules will be inserted
>> 2. ifconfig wlan0 up =>  at this step, firmware will be uploaded
>> 3. iwlist wlan0 scanning =>  check if wlan0 works
>>
>> The original problem occurs at last step,
>> there is "always" no ap list result.
>>
>> And I found a way to make it work "always":
>> 1. plugin 8192
>> 2. ifconfig wlan0 up
>> 3. ifconfig wlan0 down
>> 4. ifconfig wlan0 up
>> 5. iwlist wlan0 scanning
>> If I up->down->up sequentially, (without scanning after first up),
>> and then scanning(step 5),
>> it works!
>>
>> Does this mean the firmware is not transfered or written correctly?
>

> I did a bit of testing with debug level 4. For kernels 3.2 and older, the
> firmware file is read by the kernel when the driver is loaded using the
> synchronous method. I confirm that it is not loaded into the device until
> the interface is brought up. The upload mechanism is supposed to be waiting
> while the firmware is uploaded, but that may not be happening.
>
> When you did the original 3-step process, was there any delay between steps
> 2 and 3? Does anything change if you wait for 30 sec between steps 2 and 3?
>
> with kernels 3.3 and later, there is a major change in the firmware loading
> in that an asynchronous method is used. The probe routine run when the
> driver is loaded places a firmware read request, but does not wait. The
> interface startup is delayed until the callback routine is entered. This
> change will not affect when the firmware is loaded into the device.
>
> Larry

It still got no any result if I wait for 30 sec (or longer) between
(original) step 2 and 3.
I double confirmed that it always does not work for steps: plugin ->
up -> scanning
and always works for steps: plugin -> up -> down -> up -> scanning.

And sometimes it works for next down->up->scanning, sometimes it doesn't.

Is the change of firmware loading in kernel 3.3 made by rtlwifi only,
or ring expansion in xhci is also necessary?

BR,
Jerome