Re: coping with poor usb implementations

On 22 Jan 2012, at 16:57, Alan Stern wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Tim Coote wrote:
>
>> not messianic enough - I forgot to check that the inverter was
>> incommunicado.  this is a different computer (t43 like the xp box)
>> with different fedora (16 vs 15). I wasn't around that day.
>
> You might look for differences between the two computers.  For example,
> the interfering program might be something like ModemManager or
> usb_modeswitdh, installed on one machine but not the other.
usb_modeswitch is missing from both. ModemManager has been ripped out of the newer machine. Although the log data shows no error, I'm sure that I have had an error with the current config in the past. I'll validate that.

>> ok. so now I need to redo on a day that I know I'm around to confirm
>> that the inverter gets nobbled. I'll confirm that the tusb
>> interference is happening, too.
>
> It's worth repeating that you don't have to do these tests overnight.
> If you unplug the TUSB, enable usbfs_snoop, start up wireshark, and
> then plug the TUSB back in -- all during the daytime -- that should be
> good enough to spot whatever is going wrong.  And it won't generate an
> immense log file, either.
I understand this. the issue is more that I'm having to go to see clients before sunrise and get home after sunset. I'll try to set up the experiments this week and may be home towards the end.

> Alan Stern

Tim