Re: Mass storage suspend questions

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:45:24AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > [CC: list trimmed a little; I hope nobody objects]
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> >
> > > It would be a big help if it was added.  It matters to Linux server
> > > distributions in particular because several server vendors have started
> > > to integrate emulated USB devices onto the server.  A "BMC" device from
> > > an outside vendor attaches to a USB host port, and emulates a hub with a
> > > USB mouse, keyboard, and maybe a USB CD drive attached.  Then a sys
> > > admin can remotely share a .iso file, and on the server side the CD just
> > > appears in the emulated USB CD drive.
> >
> > The impact will be minimal, because of drive polling.
>
> Yes, I know.  I had hoped that if the auto-suspend timeout was set to
> zero, the mass storage driver would suspend the device immediately after
> any SCSI command, but you've said that's not true.

Well, it makes sense for usb-storage devices always to have their
autosuspend timeout set to 0.  This means relying on the timeouts of
the underlying SCSI devices.  I don't know if you would want to set
_those_ to 0, but you might set them to something like 100 ms.  And
hopefully the CD polling rate would be set pretty low -- but that's
probably not under direct user control.

But the emulated hub will still have an autosuspend timeout of 2
seconds, unless that is changed as well.

> > Well, one thing they could do right away is unbind the hub driver from
> > the BMC's emulated hub.  Then the emulated hub would be suspended and
> > wouldn't affect the EHCI controller.
> >
> > Of course, it would then be necessary to rebind the hub driver before
> > using the BMC's integrated components, which might be an issue.
>
> Yes, I suppose that could work, assuming they're actually installing any
> software on the server side for their BMC.  With the set up they have
> now, the server only has to understand about USB devices in order to
> have the admin control the system via mouse, keyboard, and mass storage
> device.  Only the admin's box needs to have special software to start
> the session.  (I'm just guessing how this all works, of course, so I may
> be wrong.)

The problem is that rebinding the hub driver couldn't be done via the
BMC's keyboard.  It would have to happen some other way, such as over
the network.

Ah -- another solution is to unbind the emulated CD drive from
usb-storage.  Then it would get suspended automatically, and the mouse
and keyboard would still be usable.

Alan Stern