Re: Mass storage suspend questions

[CC: list trimmed a little; I hope nobody objects]

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> It would be a big help if it was added.  It matters to Linux server
> distributions in particular because several server vendors have started
> to integrate emulated USB devices onto the server.  A "BMC" device from
> an outside vendor attaches to a USB host port, and emulates a hub with a
> USB mouse, keyboard, and maybe a USB CD drive attached.  Then a sys
> admin can remotely share a .iso file, and on the server side the CD just
> appears in the emulated USB CD drive.

The impact will be minimal, because of drive polling.  And won't the
emulated mouse and keyboard prevent the hub and controller from
suspending?

> The problem is that since the BMC actually attaches to the host
> controller, it can impact system power management if all the emulated
> devices aren't suspended.  A couple of Intel server vendors have gotten
> really cranky about the power management on systems with the EHCI rate
> matching hub and a BMC.  Apparently power management is much worse for
> unsuspended HIDs under EHCI than under UHCI, since the EHCI periodic
> frame list keeps getting polled by the EHCI hardware, making the CPU
> come out of C states, etc.

The same is true for UHCI, although perhaps the impact is less severe
because the polling is less frequent (once per frame instead of once
per uframe).

>  Async endpoints don't cause as big a power
> draw, but it would benefit system power management overall if they were
> able to be suspended.

Well, one thing they could do right away is unbind the hub driver from
the BMC's emulated hub.  Then the emulated hub would be suspended and
wouldn't affect the EHCI controller.

Of course, it would then be necessary to rebind the hub driver before
using the BMC's integrated components, which might be an issue.

Alan Stern